Overloaded Outlets, Unattended Cooking Common Causes of Fire

NORFOLK - This week is National Fire Prevention Week, and local Fire Marshal Terry Zwiebel  wants to remind residents to consider fire safety every day. Zwiebel says a common cause of home fires is overloaded outlets. He recommends using a 15-amp outlet bar and not a light-weight extension cord. Zwiebel says kitchen fires are also becoming more common, with people getting distracted and leaving things cooking on the stove. He says it is better to turn the heat off if something comes up and take a chance on ruining what you are cooking instead of damaging the stove, kitchen and house or causing injuries to your family.