Fire Damages Norfolk Home
NORFOLK- Smoking materials discarded under a deck are being blamed for a fire that caused $55,000 damage to a Norfolk home Wednesday afternoon. Fire Division Lieutenant Bob Nelson says fire crews were called to 816 Wood Street at about 3:35 Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters found fire and heavy smoke coming from the rear and attic of the single family dwelling when they arrived. Nelson says firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about 15 minutes, but remained on the scene until about 5:30 and also returned later to extinguish hot spots in the smoldering attic insulation. The home suffered heavy damage to the exterior wall and attic, and moderate smoke and water damage to the interior. Nelson says damage to the structure has been estimated at $40,000, with another $15,000 damage to contents.